Monday 11 January 2010

What colour

Few months back there was a Outlook feature which detailed about the ugly side of Indian pysche when we were crying about Australian racist attacks. It was about the dark skin prejudice.

Best part i liked is where it mentioned how Krishna (The Hindu God Krishna who by his very name means "Dark/ black" in sanskrit) was made into a unique blue bodied human so that everyone would accept.
Ofcourse not everyone considered the play boy as blue, Tamil Poet Bharathi sang well when he wrote " Kakai chiraginle ..." (I see your colour in a crow's wings).

A good friend of mine who has beautiful dark complexion told me how she was bullied as a child  due to her colour.  I consider her as her as one of my well read, intelligent friends so I initially brushed it aside , but she said she hoped her second child is same as her first cutie, meaning their skin complexion shouldn't differ, I could guess how much it has been a trauma for her.
Now with all the advances we made in social life this prejudice or this pathetic mentality still lingers in society.

Recent story being , a dark skinned ( i would say medium complexion) guy who went to see a girl as part of arranged marriage. He didn't carry forward the alliance because he felt she was darker, not that she did't sync with this thoughts, life plans, etc, but because she was darker than him.

I grew up in area surrounded by villages, usually when they see a young man or women do something stupid or a mistake first thing that they say is " enna pa padicha payan ne ipadi panalama" (Hey kid, how can you do this being educated  ,for them Education = ENLIGHTENED). That is the respect rural folks have for educated men &women  !
How sad that many such years of education doesn't tell us what not to do.

When Rajini's Sivaji movie came ,I was in UK for my senior navigating license, all our housemates  booked tickets for1st show and watched it.Being UK we could afford to get the ticket one day prior. (Am not a rajini fan, but I liked shivaji for what it was, commericial movie of Rajini with all the hype of what his movies became in the last part of his career.)
When the comedy revolving Solamon Papay's daughters came, I was shocked i couldn't laugh and I wondered how the hell this wasn't censored and most important how on earth Solomon Pappaya, the distinguished  patimandram speaker (Cultural tamil debate) could have accepted to do this.

Of course I  don't want us to become so paranoid as in one show Russel peter's takes on how some in US go to difficulty in describing a african american .Speaking of which I can never accept the idea that african americans can call themselves with the N word whereas when others call its racism( k,let me not deviate )

My younger sister is carrying at present, I was asked by mother & elder sis to get some "kunguma poo" (Believe this is a dry petal of a particular flower) from Dubai . And I had a friend who was coming on a vacation.
Common perception is this helps  the baby to have fairer skin colour.The stand taken at home is that its something to do normal nutritious food that would do good for the Mother & baby.

Anyway the thing is after i was asked to arrange, many weeks passed by and I was at my sisters home and while doing combined kitchen work (of course less contribution from my side ) conversation happened something like:
Me: "hei i forgot about that kunguma poo, will arrange it before i join my next ship"
Sis:  " No "
Me: Why you got it already?
Sis: No..but  am not gonna discriminate my child, let the child come as she/he comes with her own skin
I looked at my bro in law , who smiled and said "ya murali i think she is right"

It instantly made me happy , you can say I was proud of them even though its a simple issue.Could be because after hearing all above stories and most importantly growing advertisements on fairness cream products and what they purport gave me that happiness.
Well now since our Mother insisted its good for Mom&baby in many ways, its reached my home few days back.

Beauty is a perception that varies to each personnel , an attractive girl to me may not be so attractive to a friend , but why she isn't attractive to this friend shouldn't be subject to one issue such as this.
One may like a colour yes, but when finding, deciding on lifes most important relationships (frds, a life partner )based purely on this  is what a literate illiterate or illiterates do..


No comments:

Followers